Friday, 2 August 2013

Braided Yeast Bread...

There is nothing better than a white loaf of fresh bread, than when it comes in a pretty little plait! This bread (beyond its cuteness) is seriously tasty. As in... you can't stop. Whether you have it for breakfast, lunch or even a snack, you won't get tired of it.

This recipe comes from one of my teachers. She gave it to me thinking I hadn't made yeast bread before. Of course I had but I said I would bite the bullet and try her 'special' recipe. To my amazement, her recipe really was wonderful and I didn't hesitate to complement it when she asked if I tried it. If only she knew I was using it here, she would be so so proud and happy!

Besides braiding it, you can of course place it in a loaf tin, make rolls, have one big circular bread or even small individual loafs. All in all, it will taste great! In this recipe I sprinkled poppy seeds over the top, however you can also leave it plain, or use other seeds. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

300ml Lukewarm Milk
5g Dried Yeast
1/2 tbls Sugar 
500g Strong White flour
3/4 tsp Salt
50g Soft Butter

Method:

1. In a jug, mix 60ml of the milk with the sugar and yeast. Set aside and allow to froth for about 15 minutes.

 2. In a bowl, add the flour, salt, remaining milk, butter and yeast mixture. Mix to a dough and knead until smooth.




3. Place the dough in an oiled bowl. Cover with cling film and place in a warm place for a few hours.


4. Once the dough has risen, punch it back down and knead again. Leave it rest for one hour.




 5. Knock the dough back again and divide into three lumps. Roll out each with your hands in a 'sausage' form so that you are able to braid them.



6. Braid the three strands together, ensuring the start and end are tightly pressed together.



7. Brush over with some milk and sprinkle some poppy seeds on top. Place a tea-towel over the dough and allow to rest for about 40 minutes.





8. Then place in the oven for about 20-25 minutes at 180c. Remove when evenly brown and a tap on the bottom will give a hollow sound.

Then enjoy! This bread is wonderful and delicious. Let me know if you try it out!





Siobhán
x

No comments:

Post a Comment