Sunday, 28 July 2013

Brown Bread Recipe

This recipe is a firm family favourite. A few years back I was at my friends house. We were having food and her mother brought this bread to the table. I thought it was so delicious! Later I learnt that she had made it herself! I was gobsmacked it was so tasty and delicious! I just had to get my hands on the recipe!

So a few days later I casually asked her. Turns out, my friend even knew the recipe off by heart! She had made it so many times, she knew it off! So as she called it out, I typed it into my phone saved it and waited anxiously until i could try it out! 

Years later I still make this bread. One day my Aunt called over and I served this up. As the recipe makes two loafs, I decided to give her one on her way home. That night she rang to thank me. Turns out she kept the loaf hidden from her family because she wanted to eat it all herself!

This really is a fantastic recipe which I hope you try out! I can say that this really is a tried and tested recipe! I hope you enjoy baking and eating it!

Ingredients:

12oz Brown Flour
4oz Plain Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
2oz Wheat Germ/Wheat Bran (Or one ounce of each)
2oz Oat Germ/Oat Bran (Or one ounce of each)
          (NOTE*Make sure you use a mixture of bran and germ and not all bran or all germ.)
Fistful of Mixed Seeds (I use Sunflower, Pumpkin, Linseed, Flax and Poppy seeds)
2 Eggs
3 tbls Olive Oil
1 Pint Buttermilk

This recipe makes two loafs.

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180c. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl with a wooden spoon.



2. Add in the eggs, oil and milk and seeds. Mix until fully combined.




3. Pour the mixture into two lined loaf tins.



4. Scatter seeds over the top.


5. Place n the oven for 40-50 minutes, until evenly brown and a skewer inserted is clean.



6. Remove from the oven  and take the loafs out of the tin. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool. 



And that's it! It really is a simple little recipe but so so tasty and homely. I hope you try out this recipe. Let me know how you get on! Do you have a secret recipe for brown bread? How often do you make fresh bread?

Siobhán
x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Siobhan! This was my absolute favorite along with veg soup when we visited Ireland last year. I will have to try your recipe : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Angela! Thats great to hear! Yes homemade brown bread and soup is a firm favorite here in Ireland! Please do, it goes great with soup. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete